How do I determine what size I need?
Keep in mind that labeled vintage sizing is almost always different than modern sizing. A 10 on a vintage tag, may be more like a modern size 2! This is why I take the most relevant measurements--always in inches--for every piece that I list. If you're ever unsure of sizing or need additional measurements than the ones provided, please contact me, as all Blue Suede Vintage sales are final. Examples of common measurements listed on product pages are:
- Inseam: For pants, this is the inner measurement from the crotch to the bottom of the leg.
- Length: This is pretty self-explanatory. For dresses, for example, this is the total length from the shoulder (usually just to the side of the neck opening) to the very bottom of the garment.
- PTP (pit-to-pit): Basically, armpit to armpit for tops and dresses. This is not exactly a bust measurement--because let's be honest, whose ladies really sit that high--but it's close.
- Rise: For pants, this is the length from the crotch to the top of the waistband.
- Sleeve: This is the length from the shoulder seam to the tip of the sleeve, unless otherwise noted.
- Waist: This is taken with the garment lying flat. For example, a skirt with a waist measurement of 14" means that the waist opening is roughly 28" all the way around. Waist measurements may seem small, but keep in mind that many vintage pieces are meant to sit at the natural waist and not low-slung around the hips.
Sometimes, a "Labeled Size" is listed, along with a "Modern Size." The modern size is just my best guess. It's best to go off of measurements first!
How do you determine the age of a vintage garment?
When possible, I simply ask the person from which I sourced the piece! If that's not feasible, I do LOTS of online research. The Vintage Fashion Guild, in particular, is an awesome resource for label lookups. If I absolutely cannot find something online... I use my best judgement based on the garment's source, style, and any other identifying characteristics.
What are your shipping options?
BSV currently ships to the United States via USPS, usually either First Class Package or Priority Mail. Need something shipped internationally? Please Contact Me before placing your order.
Shipping charges are determined by item, based on size and weight and are automatically calculated at checkout. If you need something expedited, please let me know before placing your order, but note that additional charges may apply.
All orders ship out within 1-3 business days from the time they are placed, unless otherwise stated. I'll message you if I'm out of town or otherwise engaged to alert you of any delays.
Finally, if you're local to Memphis, I offer FREE porch pickups from my home in Midtown if you'd rather not have your item(s) shipped. Please Contact Me once your order is placed to coordinate pickup.
What's your return policy?
Blue Suede Vintage currently does not accept returns or exchanges.
I do my best to list all of an item's relevant measurements on the product page (see note above about sizing!) and to note anything outstanding about a garment's condition. Of course, all pieces have been previously loved and worn, but if the item has any tears or spots or anything like that, I'll definitely call it out, and that's usually reflected in the price.
Do you buy vintage?Yes, and in fact, I have an entire page dedicated to that process. Click through to read more.